DATES: July 29 - August 14, 2022
DURATION: 15 hours
PLATFORMS: Zoom and Moodle
Water consumption worldwide has been increasing by about 1 per cent every year since the 1980s, and will continue an upward march till 2050, projects the United Nations. By then, the global water demand will be around 30 per cent above today’s levels. Already, over two billion people live in countries with high water stress, and about four billion experience severe water scarcity at least one month every year.
A similar disheartening scenario exists in the way the world is handling its waste. 80 per cent of global wastewater containing human waste and toxic industrial discharge remains untreated. At the same time, plastics are choking our waterbodies and aquatic life.
Evidence-based communication using data is the key to informing interventions for conserving and protecting our water and for managing our waste.
Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), South Asia’s leading think tanks on the politics of environment and development, invites you to join its Global Online Training Programme which focuses on: finding and understanding good data on water and waste; analysing and visualising it to graphically communicate impactful stories.
It will introduce popular analytical tools and offer insights into the larger stories to better understand numbers on water, waste, health and economy.
What will you learn?
- Data collection: Learn where and how to find credible data on water, waste, health and related indicators on environment and development
- Data analysis: Develop skills to analyse and interpret trends on the state of water and waste and the impacts.
- Data visualisation: Learn to visualise data for effective communication
- Report writing: Develop skills to process, visualise and transform “water and waste” data into simple, compelling and informative ‘messages”, “reports”, “communication collaterals” and stories for print and web
Who can attend?
- Water and waste practitioners, officials from central and state urban/rural departments. academicians, students, and NGO representatives. This includes international organizations working for Africa
- Researchers and writers on urbanization, Public relations/communication officers
- Data managers and statisticians interested in improving communication skills
- Anyone else interested in the subject
The self-paced online programme will have video lectures, tutorials, quizzes, assignments. It will have three live interactive sessions too and participants will also get an opportunity to work on an in-depth project of their choice.
It has been designed in such a way that it can be completed along with a regular job or study.
The course is broken down into five modules:
- Module 1: Understanding water and waste challenges and their health and economic impacts
- Module 2:Data for effective communication and informed decision making on sustainable water and waste management
- Module 3: Finding the right data on water, waste and related environmental issues
- Module 4: Data processing and analysis to make data meaningful
- Module 5: Data visualisation
Programme director, Information Management, CSE
Manager, Information Management, CSE