Cities in the global south are spiraling. Our climate is changing, making cities more prone to extreme rain events and floods while water scarcity and pollution continue to grow. Ground water, lakes and rivers are exhaustively overdrawn. For example, a CSE study showed that 48% of urban water supply in India is met by ground water resources yet no city in the country has adequate water supply. Fresh water sources are reducing due to rapid urban expansion. Cities encroach and pollute them as wastewater is disposed into water bodies untreated.
The course will provide a holistic perspective on today’s urban water scenario and emphasize the need to move towards a water secure future. It will help practitioners and decision makers with various other commitments improve their subject-knowledge in their own time, using a highly supportive and interactive learning platform.
To help students, working professionals and environmental enthusiasts learn state-of-art concepts and principles of improved urban water management at their own comfort.
- Identify gaps in water provision, access and governance
- Recognize the various external and internal stresses and shocks to water bodies in a city
- Indicate the current problems with water infrastructure
- Illustrate the increasing scope of a decentralised approach to water management
- Demonstrate inequity in access and pricing of water in a city
- Suggest scope for interventions based on different problem scenarios and contexts
- Identify tools and approaches for urban water management
The course will consist of the following modules:
Module I: Water and Development – Understanding present complexities
Module II:Overview of Urban Water Governance – Alternative reforms
Module III: Basic Principles of Nature-based Urban Water Management
Module IV: Introduction to Tools and Approaches to operationalize interventions
The course comprises of self-study, technological learning tools such as presentations, videos featuring case studies from various countries, interviews with experts, inspirational talks, and other audio material. It will facilitate interaction amongst participants through online forums and discussions. Also, it will be interactive with several interesting assessment exercises and quizzes. Participants will also get a chance to interact and learn from experts at CSE through online interactions and a webinar.
- Teacher: Rudresh Kumar Sugam